I was right. A few weeks ago, Bentley vomited a good sized amount of dark blood. Of course, we freaked out and the doc told us to come right in. He sent us to the hospital for an upper GI test where B had to drink Barium, some nasty white stuff that looked like paint, and we got to see how and where the liquid was traveling through his system. Through this, we could see that he had some traces of acid reflux. The doctor said the blood was probably from a burst blood vessel and was nothing to worry about. For the reflux, he gave us some Prevacid and Reglan to see if it would help. It didn't really. He was still so fussy and sad, there was still something wrong. I just didn't feel right about what the doctor said about the blood. I couldn't let him cry and hurt and spit up blood until I knew exactly why. So, after bugging his peditrician about a hundred times, he finally said that if he spit up blood again to go down to Primary Children's Hospital in SLC and see what they say.
Well, he did- about an hour before his baby blessing in church this past Sunday he spit up more blood, this time bright red. Jimmy had to work so Gail went with me to Primary's. The doctor there ordered some blood tests which all came back normal, so he talked with the pediatric gastrointinologist about Bentley. He told us that most likely B has esophagitus (tearing in his esophagus, causing him to puke blood) due to a strong milk allergy. He recommended only giving him Nutramagen (a special lactose-free formula, it also helps with colicky babies) for a month, and then if I want to breastfeed him after that, I'll have to be on an extreme dairy-free diet (even excluding bread, most cereals, etc) and see how he does with that. I started the diet yesterday and it's hard! If there is any more blood, we'll go back down to Primary's for a scope test, but hopefully this is the answer! In addition to the two medications Bentley is already on, he also gave him Zantac to control the reflux in a different way.
It feels really good to hopefully have an answer about why he is such a sad little guy and why he's hurting so much all the time. Plus, we are hoping he'll stop crying all the time! I'm really glad I didn't just ignore my feeling that something was wrong and let Bentley hurt even longer. Poor little guy!
12 comments:
We are so sorry to hear about Bentley and his problems. If you ever need a place to stay while you are in Salt Lake, we would be glad to have you.
--Uncle Eric and Aunt Mary Ellen
Your motherly intuitions are like amazing superpowers, Diane! :) I am glad that you are finding answers to Bently's sad cries. We hope that things keep getting better for him. That must be so hard to know that your cute, cute boy is in pain. You guys are such a good mommy and daddy.
That is really scary, don't you just wish that you could take all the pain from your baby away and put it upon yourself? Always listen to your motherly instincts! Oh, and I had to put Penny on formula pretty early because she just wasn't gaining enough weight with my breast milk, don't ever feel bad if your baby needs to be a formula baby....that was really hard for me to do, but in the end baby was much happier and healthier and so was I, and I got a lot more sleep! Don't get me wrong though, hopefully the diet works for ya!
That is crazy - I love how moms know more or at least I should say have a feeling that something just isnt right. I am so glad you listened to your gut instead of the drs. Sorry to hear about Bentley, I hope he gets feeling better really soon.
ps - if you decide you dont want to breastfeed because of the diet restrictions I have a friend who has to order special formula that is expensive but found a cheap website so let me know and I will get it for you.
Aw poor thing! I just took my son to get his immunization shots done yesterday and i thought it was the saddest thing ever! I know how much it hurts as a mom to see your baby in pain! You are such a strong girl! Hopefully things will get better!
You are such a great mom (and Jimmy, a great dad :) )! And I LOVE the new blog look... your family photo is SO dang cute!
Jeez guys, that's awful! Way to go for listening to your gut though, Heavenly Father gives you mother's intuition for a reason! Well keep you two and little B in our prayers! Keep up the good parenting, you're awesome.
What a beautiful family! Hope the new medicene and diet is working for you guys. Rebecca's baby, Natalie, is also alergic to milk and soy. She has some good recipes I hear. And If you have a need for sweets try peanut butter cookies:
1 c PB
1 c sugar
1 egg
cook for about 8 minutes @350.
We are thinking of you.
Michelle
Poor little B:( I hope he feels better soon. I'm glad you kept bugging the doctors to get to the solution. Mama knows best!
Diane? Holy cow! I havent heard or seen you in years! I knew you got married... and your little boy is so cute! You still look exactly the same. Glad to see you so happy...hope all is well.
Poor guy. That is very scary. I wish babies could just say, "Hello, Mom, this milk thing is not working out for me." I've had two kids who screamed all the time until they learned to talk. Not fun. Keep that blood in your body little Bentley.
oh man, how scary. it is so hard to see these little babies in pain when you know there is nothing you can do about it. i really hope that you have found the answer and that the little guy starts to feel better. and good luck with the elimination diet. i don't know if i would have the same willpower as you, you are an amazing mama!
Post a Comment