Monday, May 05, 2008

What a day.


Yesterday while Officer Jimmy was hard at work, I got the dreaded call from him that started with the words "I'm okay but... I've been in an accident..".

While responding to a medical call, Jimmy was running code (lights and sirens) to get there. He slowed down before crossing an intersection, but one woman forgot to do the same. {Edit by Jimmy: actually I went through the intersection on a red, the woman had a green, thats why she hit me.} She collided with Jimmy's SUV, causing him to hit another car, trapping all his doors shut. Jimmy had to jump out his window to make sure everyone was okay, which they were. He hurt his leg and got some cuts in his arm from the broken glass, but made it out alright, though it was a very scary thing. The other drivers had minimal injuries too.

The damage to the cars was pretty bad; both Jimmy's car and the woman who hit him were totaled. He took me by the junk yard where one car was stowed and it made me sick! I don't know how they didn't get hurt more than they did. I'm so glad he made it home safe that night. I feel so bad for him- he did everything he was supposed to but still had to go through this, and he hasn't even been an officer for a year yet! Poor guy.

When he got off the phone from telling his mom about it, not more than 5 seconds had passed when his sister Vanessa called and said "I'm in the ER, I think I broke my ankle"! Poor Kathy, she got those two calls just minutes apart! We spent the evening back in the ER with Vanessa who turned out to have a broken toe and a sprained ankle. The girl at the admittance desk asked Jimmy "back again?" since it had only been a couple hours since he was there for himself.

What a day! At least I didn't have the baby that night too.

1 comment:

Hilarie* said...

Wow.. .sorry to hear about that! I bet that was scary to get that phone call. Then to see it later! Wow.

Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.