New Zealanders have a seceret. It's called Pavlova. When I lived there, I couldn't get enough of it. Well, that and their delicious ice cream. Pavlova is an amazing merengue-y/crispy/marshmallow-y dessert topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. Drooling yet? I am.
PAVLOVA:
4 egg whites
1 cup superfine sugar*
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
*you can buy superfine sugar at most stores. It makes it smoother to use this sugar, but it still works with regular sugar too.
TOPPING:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons regular sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Fruit - kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. My favorite is frozen raspberries and blueberries that have been partially thawed.1. Preheat oven to 250 and put rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (not waxed paper) and draw a 7 inch circle on the paper. (you can also do 2 smaller circles, or I've even just sprayed a muffin tin and done mini pavlovas, just cook them for a shorter time)
2. Wisk the egg whites on medium-high in an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Start adding the sugar, one tablespoon at a time and continue to beat until it holds very stiff peaks. It takes a while to get all the sugar in, but you have to do it slow or it gets grainy/lumpy. Test to see if the sugar is dissolved by rubbing a little of the pavlova between your fingers. It should feel smooth, not gritty. If it feels gritty keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers.
3. Sprinkle the vinegar and cornstarch over the top of the pavlova and gently fold in with a rubber spatula. Carefully spread the batter inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper, leaving a slight well in the center. It is stiff enough that it will hold it's shape well.
4. Bake for 1 h 15 min or until the outside is dry and is a pale cream color. Turn the oven off, leave the door ajar and let it cool completely in the oven. As it cools, it will probably crack and fall some, I've never had mine keep shape very well.
5. Meanwhile, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Sweeten with the sugar and vanilla. Once the pavlova is cooled, mound cream into the center well and top with fruit.
6. Enjoy immediately because it is so delicious.
*It will dissolve and get soggy if you put the cream on it and put it in the refrigerator, so store it un-refrigerated in tupperware, without the cream and fruit on it yet.

2 comments:
the recipe looks good, I hope to try it tomorrow thanks, --aunt Mary Ellen
I tried it today, I used Splenda instead of sugar. I am sure it wasnt near as good as the sugar but, At least it was something that I could eat, and it wasnt bad.
Post a Comment