Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cloth Diapers part II...

After posting this, I was curious so I decided to do a little research.  I was still pretty grossed out about the idea of cloth diapers but was still curious for some reason...  I did lots and lots and lots of reading and found this, a $10 (plus shipping) trial of lots of different kinds of cloth diapers for 21 days.  We decided to try it, figuring that we would hate it.

But, we loved it!  Well, we loved a couple of them.  Most were big and bulky, but the ones we liked were NOT the kind of cloth diapers your mama used, they are totally comfortable, not messy, and easy to use.  Jimmy doesn't even mind them, so you know they're not bad!  The best part is that you can get this, a really cheap biodegradable, flushable liner (feels like tissue paper) you put inside the diaper and it catches all the mess and you just flush it right down the toilet.  Plus you can wash them in the washing machine up to 3 times to reuse them if they only get wet.  Super easy.  Another selling point for me was the econmical impact- they say that the average baby/toddler goes through about 5,000 diapers, and they take about 500 years to decompose.  That is a whooole lotta nasty that just my baby is making. 

So, we decided to go with a combo of two kinds: gDiapers and BumGenius.  They are not much bulkier than a disposable diaper.  I just bought everything we will need- this will last through a couple more kids and spent just over $200.  No more buying diapers!  Woohoo!

And they're stinkin' cute!  Have you ever seen a diaper THIS adorable??  Yeah, I didn't think so.

5 comments:

Emily Webster said...

I threw Brittany a baby shower this weekend at my mom's and your mom was so cute- she was like the cloth diaper spokesperson! She was already sold! Haha. But yeah, I'm glad you did the research for me. Because I'm pretty much sold on them. Just have to get Jer on board. :-)

Dani said...

Glad you liked them. We have to send 2 BUmGenius back to Cotton babies because of a seam coming out with some Velcro, not a hard fix but it's covered under the warranty and Cotton Babies is SOOOO EASY to work with when it comes to their customer service.

Anonymous said...

I did cloth diapers for a couple of months but just the old fashioned pre-fold with plastic covers. I totally want to do the 21 day trial. How much was the shipping?

Brooke Trogdon said...

I am soooo checking out the gdiaper site and I love the fact that you can still flush the diaper part away, Let us know how it works for you because I really want to check them out and try them.

Zan said...

I'm so glad you found my blog! And in return I've loved this little glimpse into your life as well.

So, after I read this post I have mentioned these diapers to four of the lovely pregnant ladies I know and I've been talking about diapers more than I ever have in my life. This was such good info.

Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.