Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Don't tase me bro...

Salutations everyone, Jimmy here. As you can see from the title this post is about tasers. As some of you know, the Rexburg Police Dept. University Division was recently disbanded. As a result I have transferred to the Rexburg Police Dept. and work in their patrol division. As part of the new transition, we all had to get taser certified. That means we had to go through a lengthy class and at the end, get tased.


Here is a picture of the tasers we carry at the PD. As you can see the dart shoots out of the taser through the pressure generated by a nitrogen cartridge inside the taser. The little confetti looking things are called AFIDs and they have numbers on them that match the taser. They are used for a couple things. The tasers have a light and a laser to aid in sighting the target. This taser generates 50,000 volts of electricity, which I am told really isn't that much. They said that the amps are what hurts you. In fact the amount of amperage generated was hundredths of one amp. You get more amps by putting your finger in an electrical socket. Anyways if you look closely at the darts you will see that they penetrate into the skin about a half inch. They have a barb on them similar to a fish hook. In fact one of the officers said that the darts are made by Eagle Claw, a popular fish hook company. I do not know if that is true. So I had the privilege of getting tased today. Below you will see some pictures of the experience.


Here I am calm as can be before the trigger was pulled. I really wasn't nervous. (Diane edit- click on the picture for a close up of Jimmy's face!)


Here is me during the tase. It was excruciating. I took "the full ride" meaning that I got hit with the prongs and was tased for the full 5 seconds. The guy tasing me is my old supervisor from campus. After it stopped there was brief pause then I got hit again. Apparently he didn't take his finger off the trigger and hit it again. I was annoyed. It only lasted for a second or two. After the tasing my body felt tingly all over and I felt really worn out. The worn out feeling was similar to the way you feel after a good work out. I did feel a bit woozy afterwards but that soon subsided.


Here I am after the tase. They had me stay down for a minute while they took the prongs out. They say you aren't supposed to feel them pull it out, but I sure felt the one on my lower back. They also strapped an old ballistic vest on me to see if it would penetrate the vest, which it did.


Here you can see where the prongs hit me. They looked much worse after I was tased, there were some nice welts at the prong sites. I hope that all of you in blog land one day get the privilege of having 50,000 volts of pure, raw electricity pulse through your body 19 times per second. I don't think that is an experience I want to go through ever again. Here's the video:

http://www.kidk.com/news/30592809.html?video=YHI&t=a

6 comments:

Evan said...

Jim you are the man. That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while. ps- you guys have been blogging like mad lately, I like it.

Mrs. Buv said...

Just wait til you get to tase someone!! Woo Hoo!! I still prefer to go hands on, but some people just plain need to be tased!!

It's pretty scary when the taser probes go in, taser is working...and then scary man on PCP rips probes from chest and the fighs on!!

Don't forget you have a gun!! Lethal force is still the best force if the situation calls for it!! Too many people get that stupid taser and think it's a cure all. Training new officers that think the taser will save them every time are the hardest ones to train.

I'm tellin' ya...you guys should move down and come play in Phoenix!! It's a blast!!

I love my job!!

Randi

p.s. that 5 seconds is the longest 5 seconds, huh??!!

Anonymous said...

Ouch... Seriously. You're pretty much amazing. Kudos to you. I don't think I could have done that.

Hilarie* said...

Wow Jimmy.. I sure enjoyed the pictures. Sorry you had to go through that. But it was thoughtful to share your experience with everyone. Those pictures really are priceless!! Check out our latest...

Shaun said...

Shaun Speaking,
Dude, that was intense just watching, props to ya man.

The Olligschlager Family said...

Hey me and Adam both watched that and wow that is crazy!

Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.