Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stay in there Bentley!

Bentley decided that at 34 weeks out of the 40 weeks he's supposed to cook, that he wanted to try to come see the world. I had been having some contractions for a few days but didn't think much of it because I've been working pretty hard lately (bad diane!) and thought he was just dropping or something. So, yesterday I was out with a friend and we got in a little fender bender (in her car). It was really not a big deal at all, but when I got home I was still having some stronger pains. I still don't think it was the "accident" that started anything, but it was what got me to the hospital at least.

Gail and Fay told me that I should at least go get checked out at the hospital just in case, so I agreed. The girls took me up and hung out with me for a long time (they were sooo great to do that!) while the baby and contractions were monitored. As it turned out, they weren't just braxton hicks (the normal "practice contractions" your body has in the latter part of pregnancy) but were actual contractions, and that I was dilated at a 1 and effaced about 50%. The nurse was awesome and I really liked her, I got lucky. She gave me some medication to try to stop the contractions which worked for a while, but they came back and in the middle of the night and were as close as 2 minutes apart and almost a couple minutes long I think. So, more drugs, slower contractions, and not much sleep (especially for Jimmy, who is the best husband ever and insisted on sleeping on the chair in the room all night, thanks Jim!).

I was discharged today just after lunch because I was still at a 1 and not much had changed. The doc put me on bed rest for 72 hours and sent me home with some medication that helps slow contractions but makes me really shaky and jittery, and I'm supposed to take it until Tuesday when I go in to be checked again. Overall, I feel really calm about what is going on. I know that if Bentley needs to come now, that he will be fine. He'll be really little, may not have really strong lungs, and will have to stay in the hospital for 3-4 weeks, but that he'll be okay with not many problems. Plus, Jimmy gave me a blessing and said that when he comes he will be healthy and it will be an okay time for him to come. So, we're just keeping our fingers crossed that he'll at least hold on until my birth class on May 10th so I might have some idea what I'm doing, and maybe even for his baby shower on the 17th. Either way though, we'll both be okay.

5 comments:

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Stay! Good boy.

Ooh - good luck keeping him in there until he's cooked. I guess he's just excited to get started on some good bluegrass music.

Hilarie* said...

Hey your sis Gail posted on my blog, so I wanted to drop you a line.. and wish the best of luck. I was a little sad not to be able to say hi yesterday and find out you were on the phone at one point! But I'm glad you got to go home. I would love to be there for when that special day DOES come.. hopefully in a couple more weeks! (wink, wink!) BEST WISHES!

Emily Webster said...

Goodness...looks like Bentley is already a feisty guy- just like his mamma. ;-) Well, I hope everything goes ok! I'll pray for you.

Evan said...

What an exciting update! I can't wait for the little guy to get here... apparently he can't either! Let us know what happens! Good luck! -Whitney

Carol said...

oh man that's crazy. I am sorry you are going through all that. I guess he is just really excited to come out and see his hot momma :)

Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.