My mom died of breast cancer when I was a little girl. She was young- in her early thirties. Her sister also had it, and their aunt. So of course, with a family history like that I have to be very careful.
This past fall, I got my first mammogram at 24 (btw it's so not as bad as everyone says. Quite easy, quick, and painless. But you should probably wait longer than I did after you stop nursing to get one..... It was funny to say the least!) Anyway, I decided that with a large risk of getting breast cancer, my prevention needed to go farther.
With the help of my sister Kristen who had already done all this herself, I was able to find a genetic counselor and meet with her in Twin Falls, got my insurance to approve the BRCA genetic testing (this took a little work but it can be done!), and I had my blood drawn and sent to a genetic lab to see if I had the gene markers to indicate I was likely to develop breast cancer. Everyone has the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes, it's just potentially problematic if you have mutations on these genes, so that's what they were testing for. The next step was to wait for the results... it took 3 weeks (it was supposed to be 2- arg!)
I finally received my test results this week- I didn't test positive for the typical mutations on BRCA 1 or 2 that would indicate cancer, but I did have a mutation on the BRCA 2. They don't know that this is necessarily related to an increased risk for cancer, but it's still not known for sure as most of this type of genetic testing is still quite new. Interestingly though, my sister and I had the same mutation on the same gene. The counselor calculated that my risk of getting breast cancer lies just under 30% since the tests were negative. To me, that still feels like a pretty high risk!
Some people have issues with genetic testing, saying it is inappropriate to know what will happen in the future, etc., but I look at this as an incredibly positive opportunity to ensure that I stay healthy! There are lots of awesome things that can be done to minimize risks (like a mastectomy with implants), and I plan to do just that in a few years, after I've had the chance to nurse a couple more kids. I'm not scared at all, I am just glad to be able to take charge of my future and make sure I don't have to go down the same road as my mom!
Anyway, I chose to share this because not many people know things like this can be done, and so easily! I didn't have to pay $1 to have this awesome $3000 test done because I worked with my insurance, and my genetic counselor helped a lot. If you have a risk of cancer in your family and would like more information on getting tested, you're welcome to contact me!
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.


12 comments:
Thanks for this post! We all need to be super careful and it was a great reminder about the amazing information that genetic testing can give us.
Diane, I applaud you for this post. Coming from a family with a cancer risk of nearly 100% (only one with breast cancer), I wish that everyone knew about genetic testing and the measures that can be taken. Good luck with all the upcoming surgery etc. in the future. I'm proud of you for sharing something so deeply personal with the world.
What a horrible worry that looms over you. Such a hard decision to make at such a young age. You are amazing for being so proactive and not letting it get you down. Brianne Franks
Good for you! I'm glad you're proactive about your health and your body. I also had an early mammogram and not only is it important to get the word out to GET IT DONE but also that truly is so much better than you'd imagined. Do it for the girls, ladies.
Thanks for this post. It contained a lot of really useful information. I didn't even know there was genetic testing available. My aunt (moms sister) was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and has been going through chemo. They caught it early, and she is expected to make a full recovery, but this is still something that has now hit close to home. I haven't even had a mammogram yet, but your post makes me want to be more proactive. Thanks for sharing. Your mom was beautiful, and you were the cutest little girl. Its like looking at a female version of Bentley!
wow! very interesting. What's so funny is that I was talking about Mammogram's the other day with Billy and thinking it would be funny if someone had been nursing and had one!!
good to know they aren't as bad as everyone says.
and Love the pic of you and your Mom. So cute!
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a fan of genetic testing! In fact my dream was always to be a genetic counselor, but I'm pretty sure I'll die as that being a dream still! haha... I'm glad you got your insurance to pay. It's annoying and hard to get them to pay, I understand that too well, but I'm glad you fought for it! And I love those pictures you posted. Your mom was a beauty, and you look just the same, only shorter! :)
great post! i loved seeing the pictures of aunt janice :) i totally remember you at that age!
I think you and kristen are pretty brave and amazing girls i have to say!
- carol
Diane - My condolences for your loss. Thank you for sharing and for informing me of genetic testing... I had no idea. I just went to the doctor's for some issues. My dad's mom passed away from ovarian cancer and his sister is a breast cancer survivor. The doctor said there is a gene that increases the liklihood of one or the other occuring and that's kind of disheartening. You are inspiring for being so proactive and I send positive thoughts your way!! :) -Amanda
I think you look like your mom! It's crazy to see such old pictures. I think you are amazing and I think it was a good idea to do what you did. So anymore kids on the way yet?? :)
Hey Diane, I am so glad you found my blog. I've enjoyed reading yours and looking at your adorable little boy! That is really neat about genetic testing, I had no idea about all the things they can do nowadays.
Wait a minute, so you're telling me that after your boobs get mutilated by filling and emptying and re-filling with milk over and over, that you're going to get brand new perky perfect boobs!?? Niiiiice.
In all seriousness, this was a very informative and helpful post.
Post a Comment