Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Question...

I am sorta kinda considering making our blog private but haven't yet because of one issue- if you go to someone's blog that is private and you don't have an invite to it, it just says sorry you can't see it and doesn't give you a way to contact them.  Is there any way to leave my email on that page or something?  I hadn't thought of making it private in a while but am uneasy about the growing number of "unknown" visitors...

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Diane,

I might be one of the "unknown" people to visit your blog (I'm in San Antonio). I think I found you through Leslie's blog (?). I was in the 74th ward a few years back.

Anyway! I had the same thoughts about going private as you, and decided to just make a new private blog, and leave my original one open to those who want to contact me. You can save your entire blog under your settings (I think it's a .xml file?) and then on your new private blog, import that file and all your posts will be there! It's all under your Settings tab. Then for those people who use readers, you just go to your original (open) blog and say "Hey I have a new post on the private blog" so everyone will know when to go check.

Hope that helps!

Amanda said...

ooh i can help with this. i know a lot of people who do a pre-blog. in the settings somewhere you can change the url for your blog, so instead of thekillerkollers.blogspot.com, you could change it to something and make it a-new-url.blogspot.com. then it would officially "break" all the links people have to your blog. make this blog private and create a new blog with your old url, so when people who have it linked click on it- they will just see your new blog with whatever info you want on there. a lot of people will have their email address and the new blog url linked for people who are already invited, and they can leave their email in the comments, etc.
some people will also go on the new not private blog to post when they make a new post on their private blogs, because one of the problems with private blogs is that you cant see when someone writes a new post. i'm thinking about making a pre-blog myself but havent gotten around to it. does any of this make sense? worlds longest note over.

rymiembeal said...

Seriously, you're worried about strange people knowing that you've blogged 2 times in the last 4 months?
r

Hilarie* said...

I finally went private because of the same thing... how many people were visiting my blog who I didn't know, and the fact that you can save blog pictures on your computer! So someone I don't know could save pictures of my children on their own computer! I didn't want that!!! Please invite me!!! I now have internet and will be blogging more often!!!

Monica said...

Hey, I am totally stalking you through fay! I can't go private, even though sometimes I consider it because I keep a blog for relatives who are NOT computer savvy and visit our blog to keep in touch with our family. We don't have family around so this is my way to help them be a part of our lives. Peace out, Bently is a doll.
Monica

Brittney said...

Hey diane thanks for giving me your imput... let me know what piece of jewelry you would want and your address thanks! Brtfox@hotmail.com

Thoughts, happenings, etc. and
whatever comes to my fingertips.